How to Draw Pokémon: Charizard | Step-by-Step Sketch, Ink, and ColorJan 05, 2023
This is the easy way to draw Charmander's final form: Charizard! Draw this awesome Pokémon with me.
Charizard is one of the most fun Pokemon to draw and can be easily done with simple shapes. No complicated anatomy or detailed lines to worry about; you just need a good understanding of proportion and shading—which I show you in the video! The process of coloring Charizard can be a bit tedious, but if you follow the basic process, it will look pretty awesome!
Below are the general steps I do to create Charizard; to get more detailed instructions, click the video above.
1. Your first step would be to draw the basic shape of Charizard and make your sketch lines loose and light so they're easy to erase later on.
Your Charizard's face will be the first thing your audience sees, so make it the best it can be.
Once you’ve drawn Charizard's head, it’s just a matter of drawing other parts of the body.
2. When you have the basic shapes, draw in the other details: claws, tail, and wings.
Like most dragons, Charizard has a long tail. What makes it special is that it has a fire burning on the tip!
3. Using a marker or a pen to ink the final lines of the drawing, go very smoothly and carefully so you don't make any unwanted scribbly lines.
Erase the sketch lines when the ink is dry.
4. Start with the flat colors and work your way to the shadows and highlights. The colors you will need are shades of orange, yellow, orange, blue, and red.
5. When you do the shadows, think of each major shape in 3D and how it will create a shadow based on where your light source is.
6. Do the same for highlights.
7. And now you're done! Join our private Facebook group, and show us what you made here. We would all love to see!
Watch the rest of the video to see for yourself how I colored it!
Which Pokemon do you want me to draw next? Be sure to comment it on YouTube!
Learn More With Us in LIVE Drawing Classes!
There's so much to learn. Be notified when enrollment for our live, interactive cartooning classes opens.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.