How to Draw Pokémon: Charmander | Easy Cartoon TutorialJan 03, 2023
Grab your pencil, pen, some markers (or any coloring materials), and paper! Watch my video above for some step-by-step instructions on drawing.
It's always fun to play around with characters and turn them into unique cartoons. In this drawing, I got creative and turned Charmander into a character similar to the ones in Cuphead!
Draw with a reference image to get the features accurate.
1. Start by sketching the basic shapes of its head and body. Remember to draw it lightly so it's easy to erase after inking.
2. Draw some claws at the tip of its feet; use cone shapes.
3. When you're done with the basic shapes, you can start the details.
Start with the face. Draw nostrils, a big mouth, and some big round eyes. What makes this look like an old-school cartoon is the eyes; I cut a pizza slice off of the oval shape for his pupils to give a "shine" effect.
4. When you're done with the final sketch lines, you're ready to ink Charmander!
You need to take your time with every stroke because you won't be able to erase any of the mistakes as you could with pencils.
Erase the sketch lines when the ink is dry.
5. One of my favorite parts of the process is coloring. Start with the base colors (shades of red, orange, and a bit of blue).
6. Then work your way to the shadows and highlights.
7. That's it! Make sure to join our private Facebook group, and show us what you made here!
Watch my process of coloring it through the video above.
Which Pokemon do you want me to draw next? Be sure to comment on it on YouTube!
Learn More With Us in LIVE Drawing Classes!
There's so much to learn. Be notified when enrollment for our live, interactive cartooning classes opens.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.